Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Review of Zebra F-701 - Addition to My EDC

Today we shall be looking at a new addition to my EDC, the Zebra F-701 pen. Before that though, let me give some background information; I've been using Pilot G2's and other run-of-the-mill pens all my life, and I thought I'd change that by investing in a pen fit for EDC, which would serve to fill the pen slots in my 5,11 Rush 12 too. I wanted a pen that had good build quality, preferably metal construction, as well as good writing performance; nothing outrageously demanding in my opinion.

A quick search on Google showed that Fisher Bullet Space Pens, Parker Jotters and crowdfunded efforts on Kickstarter ruled the day. These were all great choices in their own rights; the Space Pen is known for the refills which can write in highly demanding environments, the Parker Jotter for their classic design and the multitude of Kickstarter pens for their custom craftsmanship and special designs.

The Kickstarter efforts were of course, way beyond my budget, nice as they were, while I didn't like the idea of fidgeting with a cap for the Space Pen. I already in fact have a Parker Jotter pen in stainless steel, and the Jotter's design just doesn't speak to me. I disliked that the barrel of the Jotter tapers towards the tip, something which I think will compromise comfort whenever there is considerable writing to be done. Where does that leave me then?

Enter Zebra F-701, the darling of many an EDC forum.



This pen has a reputation which precedes itself. The reason why is clear when you pick one of these pens up. It features a fully stainless steel barrel, which although isn't monocoque in construction (the knurled grip and smooth barrel are separable), feels very solid indeed. The weight is satisfying, reassuring and feels like something much more expensive than the price F-701's go for; the presence of the F-701 in hand is truly outstanding for the price. Top points to Zebra for the well-designed feel of this pen.


Writing with this pen has been a pleasure thanks to the addition of the knurled grip which is both functional and classy at the same time. It does its job well, allowing you to get a nice grip on the pen. The pen has remained comfortable to use for even for extended periods of writing. Perhaps the grip is a little less comfortable than the rubber grips on G2s but the tradeoff for the good looks is ultimately a plus for me. Of course, that is also dependant on how tightly one grips the pen while writing.


On the back end of the pen, we have a retraction mechanism which Zebra claims as being quieter than usual. It is indeed a little quieter than a standard Pilot G2 I'd say, and is a nice touch for those who like to click their pens on occasion. The retraction mechanism has a nice, springy amount of tension to it, and while may not be the most authoritative of clicks, is nice enough that I have no qualms. The plunger retracts fully when the tip is out, meaning that it won't rattle around when writing or turned upside down.

The surprising thing about the retraction mechanism is that it is plastic in construction, while its lesser brethren, the Zebra F-402 actually lays claim to a metal retraction mechanism. I certainly see myself hacking my F-701 to accomodate the F-402 retraction mechanism in the near future. Not that the stock F-701 mechanism is awful, it is actually quite decent, but I'd like my F-701 to have metal construction as much as possible.



Next, we come to the writing performance. The Zebra F-701 plays host to a fine ballpoint refill. For all intents and purposes, the stock refill is decent enough. The lines are clean, and is comparable with a typical ballpoint. It's by no means a great ballpoint, but that might be a problem rectifiable!

There are numerous topics on the Internet on people hacking the F-701 to fit Fisher and other refills. Having not tried a Fisher refill yet in my life, I don't know how these refills stack up against each other. Again, I'd certainly hack my F-701 to fit a Fisher refill in the near future.



The F-701 comes right out the box with a metal clip that is nicely adorned with the Zebra logo and the model number. It serves its purpose well enough, clipping onto shirt pockets and other objects firmly. The amount of tension is not too little such that it flops around after being clipped and not too much to make clipping a hassle. The clip feels solid enough and seems unlikely to break as long as it isn't abused. Hopefully, the tension will stay the same with usage. In a word, I have to say the clip on the F-701 is nice.



Coming to the price, the F-701 costed me SGD$8.30. I have nothing but good things to say about the F-701 and that would stay the same even if costed twice as much. At the price it goes for, the F-701 is astoundingly good value for money. Of course, there are some things that stop this pen short of being the best that it can be; plastic retraction mechanism and writing performance which is just average. Even still, I am thoroughly impressed with this pen, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice writing instrument but doesn't want to burn a hole in their pocket.

So that was the review of the Zebra F-701, thank you for reading and stay tuned for upgrades to the refill and retraction mechanism!

2 comments:

  1. Thats a great Review of Zebra F-701.
    May i know where to buy this pen in Singapore? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anon, thanks for dropping by The Watch Post. I bought it from Stationery Superstore at Suntec City but I've heard that it's available at Mustafa as well. Hope this helps.

      Delete