Sunday, July 6, 2014

5.11 Tactical Rush 12 Review

A week ago, I took delivery of something I've been looking to acquire for a long time; the 5.11 Tactical Rush 12 backpack. Now the Rush 12 is a highly popular bag among EDC hobbyists for many reasons; among some of which are a good, solid quality, great compartmentalization options, well-thought-out design, all these at a rather good price. Being quite the EDC enthusiast, I had to verify these claims myself.

I present to you, the review of the 5.11 Tactical Rush 12.


As is customary, let's go through the specs on the Rush 12 before anything:

- 16 individual compartments
- Hydration pocket
- Wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
- Internal multi-slot admin compartment
- Zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket
- Hook and loop fastener nametape and flag patches
- Water-resistant 1050D nylon construction
- 18" x 11" x 6.5" main compartment
- 1476 cubic inch / 24 liter capacity
- Adjustable height sternum strap
- Two external compression straps
- Contoured yoke shoulder strap system
- Self-repairing YKK® zippers
- Glove-friendly pull tabs


I've only started using this backpack recently so my loadout is still very much a work in progress. I meant to build my EDC around my backpack of choice so this review will be focused on the backpack itself as much as possible, for my loadout could only be planned after getting this bag.

Right, onto the Rush 12 then. Now, before coming to the Rush 12, I've been using various fashion backpacks, none of which are tactical in nature. They were designed to look good but I can't say the same for their functionality.

This means that coming to the Rush 12 was a big departure from those packs. The Rush 12 quite simply excels at functionality. I think the Rush 12 is also quite a decent looker to me, although it does definitely tip towards being quite militaristic given the MOLLE webbing. I chose black as I'm primarily going to be using this as a school bag and I prefer to keep things stealth, instead of say, going for the multicam.



Let's start with the compartments that this bag has. At the front, there is a large admin pouch for all the small and important items. There is a plethora of pouches here; two pen-sized slots, a larger slot which I chose to put my Fenix LD22 in, two larger pouches that encompass the pen and flashlight slots, and one large pouch that is zippered and almost as large as the admin pouch itself. On the opposite, there are another two medium sized pouches, one of which I chose to put my scientific calculator in.


You have lots of room to play with here, and having this many compartments constantly tempts one to think of the next piece of EDC to acquire to fill up all the pouches. I think the admin pouch has been really well done.

Picture credit of CandlePowerForums
The main compartment features two zippered mesh compartments that allow you to easily see the contents. On the other side, there is a compartment that can be cinched by an adjustable drawstring. It's good for making sure items stay still while carrying which can be a big annoyance. The main compartment will fit a 15" laptop quite snugly, which is perfect for my Dell XPS15. It has been able to comfortably fit my gym gear such as shoes, shaker bottles and whatnot. Of course, the clamshell style really makes things easier as you don't have to fight with the size of the opening.


Flip it over to the back, and you will see the padded straps which make for a very comfortable carrying experience. The straps incorporate a neck yoke system which partially distributes the weight of the pack onto your neck as well. I have found the Rush 12 to be a very comfortable backpack to carry.

Additionally, there is a hydration bladder compartment located where your back touches the backpack, which purpose is quite self-explanatory. It also has a hard plastic backing to make sure that irregularly shaped contents don't poke you in the back as you're carrying them around. I've never had a backpack that had this feature before and I think this is simply fantastic. It's been a problem I've faced with my fashion backpacks and I've always had to create a makeshift hard plate but to have one designed from concept is much better.


All in all, I have to say the 5.11 Tactical Rush 12 is brilliantly executed. The design has been well thought-out to maximize the comfort of the user, providing numerous options for the user in terms of customizability (adding of pouches via the MOLLE webbing) and the huge number of compartments means one will be able to find the space to put almost anything. Top that off with 1050D nylon construction, this backpack is meant to last decades, if not a lifetime.

About the only gripe that I had with this backpack is that it does weigh quite a bit even when empty, which can be a problem especially when you're carrying it in your hands by the carry handle. Of course, there had to be a flipside to this pack. Even still, the Rush 12 is pretty much fantastic in most other aspects and I'm very happy with my purchase.

This review is little less specific than I usually do for reviews of my gear, so I think I might come back and do an in depth one when I have assessed it over a longer period. Stay tuned for it and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment