Monday, June 24, 2013

Paneristi

I've never really taken an interest in Panerai till recently, when I ordered my first homage. I'm still waiting for it to arrive so I've been looking quite a bit at Panerai recently, to tide over the long wait. I must confess, the more I look at the offerings Panerai has, the more intoxicated I get with them.

The community of Panerai owners, known otherwise as Paneristi, is highly interesting; it is a closely-knit community and there is a profound love for building a collection of straps and regularly changing straps, much more so than for any other brand of watches.

In particular, I found this one really attractive.

 
Panerai Mille Metri -  c. 1988, these watches are now worth a very pretty penny, that is, IF you can even find one. Being a huge hunk of metal that it was, this watch had a water resistance rating of 1000m, hence the name Mille Metri.

Given the rarity and cost of the Mille Metri, it is almost impossible to acquire one. Luckily, there are alternatives; faithful homages such as the Esdee Mille Metri (made available in extremely limited quantities when released and long since sold out):

Esdee Mille Metri

There is also a brand known as Ennebi, which has roots linked with Panerai, that has offerings which are clearly influenced from the Mille Metri:

Ennebi Fondale

All of these will cost you a pretty penny as well, though you probably wouldn't need to sell your house for either, as compared to a genuine Mille Metri. So that's it for today's post, and as always, thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment